Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Simple Yeast Rolls

About six years ago, our 4-H group made these simple yeast rolls as a project for the children. They are that easy! My kids love them, especially when they are smothered with butter and honey!

You will need:
5 cups flour
4 1/2 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 stick butter (I have substituted oil when in a pinch)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. (I use the crock to my crock pot.) Mix butter, milk, oil, and water in small bowl and heat to 115*-120*. Add butter mixture to dry ingredients, stir and keep adding flour until it pulls away from edges of bowl easily. Cover with towel and let sit at least one hour but not over 5 hours. Dump out on floured surface and roll to desired thickness. Cut with 2 inch cutter (or glass). Put on non-stick baking sheet or glass pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 350*. This recipe will yield 40 smalls rolls.

These look much more like biscuits than rolls. But they are easy and taste yummy. It's very nice to be able to leave the dough covered in the crock, and then be able to bake them right before you are ready to serve them. I especially enjoy doing this on a Sunday morning. Sometimes I even mix my ingredients Saturday evening (wet and dry separately) and then combine before church. As soon as I get home from church, I can roll them out and while they are baking finish up the rest or our lunch.

No comments: