Monday, March 30, 2009

How does my garden grow?


My bed of kale is really paying off, finally! I planted it last fall and it survived the winter just fine, but it didn't do much growing until just recently. All winter it stayed around 3 inches tall. But now that our days are beginning to warm up it is growing like crazy. We've harvested a couple pounds and we've hardly made a dent in the bed of greens! And 2 pounds of kale is LOTS of kale!

We've enjoyed the kale sauteed in olive oil with onion and garlic. I like wilting it quickly in bacon grease, too, with a sprinkling of garlic salt, but real garlic is always best. As soon as I find the time I want to prepare some "kale chips" that I've read about on a raw food website. As soon as I find a decent avocado again, I'll make the raw kale salad that we enjoyed earlier this year.

We're also enjoyed our first asparagus, green onions, garlic tops, cilantro and parsley. The cabbage, a few lettuces, sugar snap peas, and arugula are looking promising! Oh, and my mint is growing quite happily, too! In about 3 weeks I'll be able to plant to my heart's content. I can hardly wait, but until then, we'll putter around the gardens getting the soil prepared, feeding the chickens the few stray weeds (which I actually found to be edible~hen bit and chickweed) and harvesting every bit of produce that we can!

No comments: