Friday, April 18, 2008

Interesting Info on the Brain

I've been trying to eliminate stress lately. I mean really working at eliminating anything unnecessary to my peace of mind. I'm doing this out of necessity. My blood pressure is high, again, and I'm even on medicine this go around. In light of all I've been working on lately, I found this article interesting. Here's an excerpt:

This has strange consequences. We try to talk on our cell phones and drive at the same time, even though it is literally impossible for our brains to multitask when it comes to paying attention. We have created high-stress office environments, even though a stressed brain is significantly less productive. Our schools are designed so that most real learning has to occur at home. This would be funny, if it weren't so harmful.
I'll be perusing Brain Rules blog and their website more thoroughly over the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff at this blog, Renee! (Just what I need-- another place to read! :-) ) And it's really, really irritatingly obvious to me that people can't talk on their cell phones and drive at the same time. I can spot a cell phone driver in a flash. Crazily erratic speeds, weaving around, going way too slow on the highway... and as soon as they hang up the phone, they drive normally. I always want to do a citizen's arrest! :-)

I *know* I can't multi-task, so I don't try. Like you, I prefer to take great pains to minimize stress. I like calmness.

Susan :-)