Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dairy/Wheat Free Meal Ideas

For various reasons, we are experimenting with eating a Gluten/Dairy Free diet. I've decided to record some of our meals here as a reference for myself and also for anyone else that may be contemplating this.

Today's breakfast consisted of:
Fried Eggs
Oatmeal with your choice of Agave Nectar, Raw Honey, Molasses, Peanut Butter, and Flax Oil
Fruit Shakes ~ These seem to always be different. Today we enjoyed blueberries, bananas, flax oil, almond milk, and Pineapple/Coconut Juice with a bit of Barley Green Powder (you don't taste this).
Yum!

Today's Lunch:
Baked Talapia
Romaine Salad
Brussil Sprouts (This sounds like a funny combination but I could eat brussel sprouts with any meal! I love 'em!)

And for supper:
This was a pantry meal that was very thrown together!
Hamburger (from a local farmer), with rice and onion. Instead of cooking the rice in water I used Organic French Onion Soup and cooked it all together.
I served this with green beans. Very basic pantry eating! But it must not have been too bad or else everyone was very hungry because all but about a half of a cup is gone!

For snacks we enjoyed:
Sesame Rice Cracker
Apple Sauce
Pineapple Rings
Apples
Raisins
Juice Sprintzers
Dark Chocolate with Cacoa Nibs
Bananas
Wild Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter and Honey
My kids can never make it all the way to the next meal without some snacks, as you can see!

I miss being able to cook whatever I want. I feel like this "diet" hampers my creativity but we are making the best of it and we've eaten some wonderful food along the way!

3 comments:

Farrah said...

Many things would surprise people that are neurotoxins. Most people think that hair dye is okay and things like that.

My son has a learning disability and was on the gluten/caesin diet and it was a pain. We still do it for a month every year just to give him a good clean out.

Blessings

KathyMarie said...

I am doing this for myself right now but not actually cooking it for the rest of the family. So, if I make noodles or bread I just don't eat it. Generally I'm a pretty simple minded cook anyway. I'm craving brussel sprouts right now. Thanks! I'll be checking back for more ideas.

BessieJoy said...

Mrs. Farrah, I would love to know more of the reasons that you do this once a year for a month! Is there a way that I can contact you by e-mail?

Katheemarie, I don't feel as though I do anything with my cooking that would inspire anyone else but I always do like to just see what other people's menus look like! We had been eliminating eggs, too, but added them back in yesterday. That sure made breakfasts a lot easier! I'd love to hear if you notice any changes by doing this diet.