Friday, October 24, 2008

Pumpkin Days


Every fall I use pumpkin in new ways. Over the years we've made frozen pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin yeast rolls, pumpkin butter and pumpkin pancakes.

Last Saturday we enjoyed Susan's Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins ~ a big YUM! I doubled the chocolate chips, like she suggested, and we didn't regret it! My family declared them a "keeper".

Last night was a rare occasion at our house. Tim and I were ALONE! I decided to make pumpkin biscuits, and a big salad. I made a bed of chopped romaine. In the center I put a rounded scoop of tuna salad, and then I sprinkled chopped red peppers, black olives and farmer's cheese all over the top. It was pretty and tasty! Everything was simple, yummy, and peaceful. :) Tonight we were back to normal with all the kids around the table!

I found the recipe for the Pumpkin Biscuits at About. com:Home Cooking.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (and maybe a little more, see instructions)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup melted butter

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 450 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Place flour mixture in a food processor, fitted with the metal blade. Add cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.

Remove to a bowl and stir in pumpkin and milk. Mix just until moistened and a soft dough forms. If the dough is too wet to handle, stir in additional flour, just enough so you can handle it.

Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Using a floured biscuit cutter, cut into 2-inch circles. Place on prepared pan 1 inch apart and brush with melted butter. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.

Serve pumpkin biscuits right out of the oven with butter, honey, or honey butter.

Yield: about 12 biscuits

note: I changed the amount of baking powder from 3 Tbsp. to 1 Tbsp. When I prepared these I couldn't imagine that they would need 3 Tbsp. Using 1 Tbsp. worked out just fine.

No comments: