Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Living in Today


Wise words from Susan at High Desert Home:

I think it's good to be aware of what is happening in the world and then to do whatever we need to do (or can do) to care, to help those who need help, and to bring about change. But I also think it's wise and good to continue to find joy and beauty in the daily blessings, as long as we have them. To refuse to be all-consumed with circumstances, to overworry about them, and to focus on them so intensely that it keeps us preoccupied or brings us low.
I certainly don't consider myself a worrier. But I do like to be able to "do" something about a situation if I something is causing me concern. I do tend to want to talk a lot about my feelings and concerns and perhaps I sometimes tend to look at the worst case scenario.

All that to say, the situation in our country at the present has me quite worn out. I didn't think I was stressed but apparently I must be. Here I go, breaking the good advice Susan gives, talking about the political problems of our country. But I'm so broken hearted over decisions that have recently been made; decisions that will change the landscape of this country for my children and their children. My concern is not for our financial well being but for the very heart of our country~our freedoms.

I've called and written my leaders. I've done all I know to do at this time. We will continue to be conservative financially as we will probably face leaner times ahead.

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
~Jesus

I've decided to go on making the most out of every day. Not spending each day thinking of how I'll handle tomorrow if this or that happens but I'll live today just as fully as I can. I think this is what Jesus would have me do. I'll take what is handed me today. And tomorrow I'll do the same. I find it stressful to think too far in advance. I need to cherish the moments I have right now. I have no guarantee of tomorrow, anyhow.

We used the good china today.........and we had fresh flowers on our table, too! Just to be honest, though, chaos reigned in the house, everywhere but at our table. As chaos may be reigning in the world around me, my home can be that little island of peace that we all need.


No comments: