Monday, June 09, 2008

Dutch Babies

We eat breakfast at our house, every single day! And if it's cereal my kids think they're being mistreated! Frugal Upstate started a series on Frugal Food and part 1 will be about the egg. We love eggs around here and I have a recipe that I want to add to her list. I plan to check out all of the submissions that she receives. Perhaps we'll add another favorite to our breakfast menu.

Dutch Babies

~~Place 1 stick of butter in a 9x13 pan and place in 425* oven.
note: If times are tough you can cut the stick in half and it will work!

~~In blender combine:
2 cups flour
2 cups milk
8 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla (again, you can skip the vanilla if need be)

~~Pour into melted butter and return to oven for 20-25 min.

~~Cut into squares and serve with butter and syrup, powdered sugar, or even fruit, or fruit syrup. We always add peanut butter, but that's just us.

~~This will puff up in pan.

7 comments:

frugalmom said...

This sounds so delicious! And a great way to use up eggs, of which I currently have a surplus. Found your link through the Frugal Upstate egg page.

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

This sounds a bit like a yorkshire pudding, which Yankee Bill LOVES.

Thanks so much for participating in Egg week.

Mercedes said...

This sounds great! thank you for sharing!

Lynn said...

My mom made something almost exactly like this when I was growing up. We loved it. Thanks for sharing.

Leslie said...

This sounds yummy and I just bought a bunch of eggs on sale.
~Leslie

Anonymous said...

We make Dutch babies, sometimes with fresh berries sprinkled across the top before baking. I have an apple version I do in fall that is delicious. And I like it plain sprinkled with some powdered sugar and a bit of lemon juice.

Yummy, Renee! :-)

Susan

BessieJoy said...

Susan,
I'd not thought to bake the berries right in there. I'll have to try that. I'm sure we'd like it. I do like to make a strawberry syrup to top it. Lemon juice and powdered sugar sounds yummy!

Sounds as though lots of people enjoy this recipe or did as they were growing up.