Tuesday, February 10, 2009

First Harvest




I picked half a pound of kale today. Doesn't sound like much, but that is a big bowl of kale! I'm so excited to be trying a new kale salad for supper. I'll let you know how we like it.

Today, we planted more peas, sugar snap this time. We still need to plant the plain old garden pea. While cleaning out a bed and raking up the leaves I found 5 beautiful romaine lettuce plants that had self seeded. I did a happy little squeal an dance. And then explained, "I'm so excited." My soon to 13 year old smiled and said, "We can tell!" I loved that red speckled romaine that I had last year. I've already started some in flats here in the house but it was a great surprise to know that I have some a couple of inches tall already in my garden!

We're debating whether or not to till up a "field garden". I've told so many people that I'd never do it again, but I'm wanting more space. I'd love to plant long rows of peas. We can never get enough of them, even from the Farmer's Market. I often buy everything the man brings and we go home and still eat them all raw. My poor husband never gets to enjoy any of them. They are like candy to the kids and I. I've heard gardeners say they are their appetizer as they stroll through the garden.

I'm looking for wonderful ways to eat kale raw. Do you have a favorite way? I enjoy it stir fried but I really hate to do that if I can find a way my family will love it raw. Why cook it? We like a little bit of it in salads but not a whole salad of just kale. Actually the recipe I'm trying tonight is
made using kale as the only "green". I'll let you know how it turns out.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, I am impressed. I need to get on with my gardening.

I buy kale regularly but I confess I never eat it. It just doesn't look good to me. (It is for our skink.) The kale in your picture looks much smaller leaved and lighter. I might have to bring myself to taste some after reading your post. It is just one of those weird mental things mainly due to the snake like creature we feed it to.

BessieJoy said...

Leslie,
My kale is still in the "baby" stage. It will eventually get big like the bunches that you buy in the store. I would say the variety that I grow is lighter than what I usually see in the grocery store, but I like both. It is very "potent" and that's the reason I don't add very much, and just in small pieces, to my salads. It's very yummy cooked with garlic and chicken broth! And in soups, too.

The nutritional value of kale is just amazing! Lots of calcium!

I would think that in your climate you could definitely seed it straight into the ground right now. Would you like for me to send you some of my seeds? I've saved this variety's seed for over 11 years and I really don't even remember the variety's name. It was given to me by a dear friend.

Just let me know if you'd like some of the seed I've saved!

Gumbo Lily said...

I'm jealous that you're already working in your gardens. Mine is hard as a rock -- frozen. No gardening in my neck of the woods until May, but I'll enjoy yours here at the blog. I told Hubs the other day that I think I want to till up a garden, field garden as you called it. I really do love the raised beds, but it feels like I'm not really gardening. Perhaps that's the key??? I do intend to cultivate a spot for potatoes....lots of them. There's nothing in the whole world like fresh garden spuds....nothing.

Peas....oh, I love them pod-and-all fresh off the vine.

Jody