Wednesday, August 19, 2009

America Frugal Housewife


I found the cookbook Old Sturbridge Village Cookbook at the library and found it quite interesting. It is a reprint/re-do for modern times of the cook book The American Frugal Housewife first written in 1829 by Lydia Maria Child. There is a lot of history bound up in this little book. But I really love the opening quote and went to bed pondering how I could benefit my household if I worked to apply it more diligently.

"The true economy of housekeeping is simply the art of gathering up all the fragments, so that nothing be lost."

The original book gave advice on efficiently running the home, which I wish were included in this book. Instead this book just focuses on the recipes.

I was thinking of our simple supper last night, which really did not require a ton of food, yet was nutritious and delicious. We had chicken breast with a simple stir-fry containing one Japanese eggplant, an orange and red bell pepper, 4 small okra, and a handful of chopped sweet onion. This made up plenty of vegetables for our family of 6, with just enough left over for someone's lunch today. That's not a ton of food and I can probably easily get that from my garden every day for the next month.....just thinking.

I realize many are having tough financial times right now. But it seems there is still so much waste. We've tightened our belt in a few areas but we still aren't using every morsel......if I don't get the produce preserved that is setting in my kitchen, it won't mean that we'll go without a meal tomorrow. Times don't appear to be like they were during the Depression, (thankfully).

No comments: