Friday, August 14, 2009

Comfort




Once again, I have been the recipient of the comfort of God, fleshed out to me through the body of Christ. Last week my husband's Grandpa, at age 90, left this life to take up resident in His everlasting home, free from all his earthly cares. He fought the fight; he kept the faith. I imagine his entering in was a blessed occasion.

I've been overcome again by the blessed grace of God. I've seen it working in my family's life as we all sorrow, but not without hope. God's promises bring such great comfort. It's only of His grace that we have the glorious assurance that one day we'll be reunited with those who have gone before to their Heavenly home. Of course, it is only of God's grace that all of my children's Great-Grandparents and Grandparents will abide there someday.

I was blessed to have this Grandpa for fourteen years. And truly he was a Grandpa to me. I felt loved and accepted. He always took interest in my life. We loved to visit about our gardens. He liked to know how my family and church were doing. Up until the very end he would have little gifts for my children, relevant gifts, gifts appropriate for their ages and interests. He was aware of others and their needs. And so for fourteen years, my life was enriched by our relationship. But truly he blessed me years before I married his Grandson. His impact on my husband was great. And of course he raised my father in law, the daddy of my husband, the Grandpa of my children. The impact of one life reaches so far.

During this week I was struck with the fact that God ministers His grace many times through the hands and words of His people. We were flooded with love and practical care. It was beautiful to watch the body of Christ minister to our needs. I had my dear friends who showed their care, the ones who are always there for me. I had the family members that I can always count on to go the extra mile. Several church bodies ministered to us. And then I had strangers, yet my brothers and sisters in Christ, who I was able to have sweet fellowship with.



Oh, the depths of the riches......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
—Kathy R.

Gumbo Lily said...

Grace, grace, wonderful grace. What a loving story you've told.

Jody